Hello! This is my first blog post on my Adventures in a Low-Carb World. A little over a month ago, my RE put me on Metformin and recommended that I go on a low-carb diet. My first thought was “Low-carb doesn’t this mean I have to give up pretty much everything? This is going suck!” Then in the first 3 weeks I lost 22 pounds! After that I started thinking of yummy things that I could make that were low-carb, besides doing the basic meat, veggies, eggs and cheese. I’m going to start sharing with you all the yummy recipes that I find. I hope your ready for this adventure!
Last nights attempt at a low-carb dinner was Taco Night Casserole. Everyone in my family absolutely loved it! This is an easy quick dinner, that is low in carbs, win-win right?
Taco Night Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese (you can use any kind of cheese, Colby Jack is just what I had on hand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a glass or ceramic 8 x 8 casserole dish.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, make sure there’s no large clumps.
- Add taco seasoning and water to the meat stirring until combined, reduce heat to medium low and cook until sauce is thickened, 3-5 minutes.
- Spread beef in prepared dish.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over beef.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake 35 minutes, or until center is set and cheese is browned.
- Remove and let sit 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Top with taco toppings (lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, taco sauce), if desired. Just make sure you add those to your carb count!
Food energy: 239 cal Total fat: 15.5g Saturated fat 7.9g Calories from fat: 140 Cholesterol: 200 mg Carbohydrate by difference: 1.1g Total dietary fiber: 0g Protein: 22.9g
The picture dose not do this justice it was absolutely yummy!